Habakkuk Chapter 1 - New American Standard Bible
1. THE  oracle which Habakkuk the prophet saw.
2. How long, O LORD, will I call for help, And You will not hear? I cry out to You, «Violence!» Yet You do not save.
3. Why do You make me see iniquity, And cause me to look on wickedness? Yes, destruction and violence are before me; Strife exists and contention arises.
5. « Look among the nations! Observe! Be astonished! Wonder! Because I am doing something in your days -- You would not believe if  you were told.
8. «Their horses are swifter than leopards And  keener than wolves in the evening. Their  horsemen come galloping, Their horsemen come from afar; They fly like an eagle swooping down to devour.
9. «All of them come for violence.  Their horde of faces moves forward. They collect captives like sand.
10. «They mock at kings And rulers are a laughing matter to them. They laugh at every fortress And heap up rubble to capture it.
11. «Then they will sweep through like the wind and pass on. But they will be held guilty, They whose strength is their god.»
12. Are You not from everlasting, O LORD, my God, my Holy One? We will not die. You, O LORD, have appointed them to judge; And You, O Rock, have established them to correct.
13. Your eyes are too pure to  approve evil, And You can not look on wickedness with favor. Why do You look with favor On those who deal treacherously? Why are You silent when the wicked swallow up Those more righteous than they?
14. Why have You made men like the fish of the sea, Like creeping things without a ruler over them?
15. The Chaldeans bring all of them up with a hook, Drag them away with their net, And gather them together in their fishing net. Therefore they rejoice and are glad.
17. Will they therefore empty their net And continually slay nations without sparing?[read chapter]