1_Timothy Chapter 1 - New International Version
1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
2. To Timothy my true son in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3. As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer
4. nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work--which is by faith.
5. The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
6. Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk.
7. They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.
8. We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
9. We also know that law  is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,
10. for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers--and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine
11. that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.
12. I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.
13. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.
14. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
15. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst.
16. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
17. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
18. Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight,
19. holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith.
20. Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.[read chapter]