Joshua Chapter 1 - Revised Standard Version
1. After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister,
2. "Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, into the land which I am giving to them, to the people of Israel.
3. Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, as I promised to Moses.
4. From the wilderness and this Lebanon as far as the great river, the river Euphra'tes, all the land of the Hittites to the Great Sea toward the going down of the sun shall be your territory.
5. No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you.
6. Be strong and of good courage; for you shall cause this people to inherit the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.
7. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law which Moses my servant commanded you; turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go.
8. This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success.
9. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
10. Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people,
11. "Pass through the camp, and command the people, 'Prepare your provisions; for within three days you are to pass over this Jordan, to go in to take possession of the land which the LORD your God gives you to possess.'"
12. And to the Reubenites, the Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manas'seh Joshua said,
13. "Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, 'The LORD your God is providing you a place of rest, and will give you this land.'
14. Your wives, your little ones, and your cattle shall remain in the land which Moses gave you beyond the Jordan; but all the men of valor among you shall pass over armed before your brethren and shall help them,
15. until the LORD gives rest to your brethren as well as to you, and they also take possession of the land which the LORD your God is giving them; then you shall return to the land of your possession, and shall possess it, the land which Moses the servant of the LORD gave you beyond the Jordan toward the sunrise."
16. And they answered Joshua, "All that you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us we will go.
17. Just as we obeyed Moses in all things, so we will obey you; only may the LORD your God be with you, as he was with Moses!
18. Whoever rebels against your commandment and disobeys your words, whatever you command him, shall be put to death. Only be strong and of good courage."