1_Timothy Chapter 3 - New American Standard Bible
1. IT is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of  overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.
2.  An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
3. not addicted to wine  or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money.
4. He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity
5. (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?),
6. and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation  incurred by the devil.
7. And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
9. but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.
10. These men must also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach.
11.  Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things.
12. Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and  good managers of their children and their own households.
13. For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a  high standing and great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
14. I am writing these things to you, hoping to come to you before long;
15. but  in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how  one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.
16. By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness: He who was revealed in the flesh, Was  vindicated  in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Proclaimed among the nations, Believed on in the world, Taken up in glory.[read chapter]