Psalms Chapter 78 - New American Standard Bible
Psalms Chapter 78 - New American Standard Bible
1. LISTEN, O my people, to my  instruction; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old,
3. Which we have heard and known, And our fathers have told us.
4. We will not conceal them from their children, But tell to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, And His strength and His wondrous works that He has done.
5. For He established a testimony in Jacob And appointed a law in Israel, Which He commanded our fathers That they should  teach them to their children,
6. That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, That they may arise and tell them to their children,
7. That they should put their confidence in God And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments,
8. And not be like their fathers, A stubborn and rebellious generation, A generation that did not  prepare its heart And whose spirit was not faithful to God.
9. The sons of Ephraim  were archers equipped with bows, Yet they turned back in the day of battle.
10. They did not keep the covenant of God And refused to walk in His law;
11. They forgot His deeds And His  miracles that He had shown them.
12. He wrought wonders before their fathers In the land of Egypt, in the field of Zoan.
13. He divided the sea and caused them to pass through, And He made the waters stand up like a heap.
14. Then He led them with the cloud by day And all the night with a light of fire.
15. He split the rocks in the wilderness And gave them abundant drink like the ocean depths.
16. He brought forth streams also from the rock And caused waters to run down like rivers.
17. Yet they still continued to sin against Him, To rebel against the Most High in the desert.
18. And in their heart they put God to the test By asking food according to their desire.
19. Then they spoke against God; They said, « Can God prepare a table in the wilderness?
20. «Behold, He struck the rock so that waters gushed out, And streams were overflowing; Can He give bread also? Will He provide  meat for His people?»
21. Therefore the LORD heard and  was full of wrath; And a fire was kindled against Jacob And anger also mounted against Israel,
22. Because they did not believe in God And did not trust in His salvation.
23. Yet He commanded the clouds above And opened the doors of heaven;
24. He rained down manna upon them to eat And gave them  food from heaven.
26. He caused the east wind to blow in the heavens And by His  power He directed the south wind.
27. When He rained  meat upon them like the dust, Even winged fowl like the sand of the seas,
28. Then He let them fall in the midst of  their camp, Round about their dwellings.
29. So they ate and were well filled, And their desire He gave to them.
30.  Before they had satisfied their desire, While their food was in their mouths,
32. In spite of all this they still sinned And did not believe in His wonderful works.
33. So He brought their days to an end in  futility And their years in sudden terror.
34. When He killed them, then they sought Him, And returned and searched diligently for God;
35. And they remembered that God was their rock, And the Most High God their Redeemer.
36. But they deceived Him with their mouth And lied to Him with their tongue.
37. For their heart was not steadfast toward Him, Nor were they faithful in His covenant.
39. Thus He remembered that they were but flesh, A  wind that passes and does not return.
40. How often they rebelled against Him in the wilderness And grieved Him in the desert!
41. Again and again they  tempted God, And pained the Holy One of Israel.
42. They did not remember His  power, The day when He redeemed them from the adversary,
43. When He performed His signs in Egypt And His marvels in the field of Zoan,
44. And turned their rivers to blood, And their streams, they could not drink.
45. He sent among them swarms of flies which devoured them, And frogs which destroyed them.
46. He gave also their crops to the grasshopper And the product of their labor to the locust.
47. He  destroyed their vines with hailstones And their sycamore trees with frost.
48. He gave over their cattle also to the hailstones And their herds to bolts of lightning.
49. He sent upon them His burning anger, Fury and indignation and trouble,  A band of destroying angels.
50. He leveled a path for His anger; He did not spare their soul from death, But gave over their life to the plague,
51. And smote all the firstborn in Egypt, The first issue of their virility in the tents of Ham.
52. But He led forth His own people like sheep And guided them in the wilderness like a flock;
53. He led them safely, so that they did not fear; But the sea engulfed their enemies.
55. He also drove out the nations before them And apportioned them for an inheritance by measurement, And made the tribes of Israel dwell in their tents.
56. Yet they  tempted and rebelled against the Most High God And did not keep His testimonies,
57. But turned back and acted treacherously like their fathers; They turned aside like a treacherous bow.
58. For they provoked Him with their high places And aroused His jealousy with their graven images.
59. When God heard, He  was filled with wrath And greatly abhorred Israel;
60. So that He abandoned the dwelling place at Shiloh, The tent  which He had pitched among men,
61. And gave up His strength to captivity And His glory into the hand of the adversary.
62. He also delivered His people to the sword, And  was filled with wrath at His inheritance.
65. Then the Lord awoke as if from sleep, Like a warrior  overcome by wine.
66. He  drove His adversaries backward; He put on them an everlasting reproach.
67. He also rejected the tent of Joseph, And did not choose the tribe of Ephraim,
68. But chose the tribe of Judah, Mount Zion which He loved.
69. And He built His sanctuary like the heights, Like the earth which He has founded forever.
70. He also chose David His servant And took him from the sheepfolds;
72. So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart, And guided them with his skillful hands.[read chapter]
Bible Main : Psalms : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150