Ecclesiastes Chapter 1 - New American Standard Bible
1. THE words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
3. What advantage does man have in all his work Which he does under the sun?
4. A generation goes and a generation comes, But the earth  remains forever.
5. Also, the sun rises and the sun sets; And  hastening to its place it rises there again.
8. All things are wearisome; Man is not able to tell it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, Nor is the ear filled with hearing.
9. That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun.
10. Is there anything of which one might say, «See this, it is new»? Already it has existed for ages Which were before us.
12. I, the Preacher, have been king over Israel in Jerusalem.
14. I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is  vanity and striving after wind.
15. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted.
17. And I set my  mind to know wisdom and to know madness and folly; I realized that this also is striving after wind.
18. Because in much wisdom there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain.[read chapter]